Tuesday 7 May 2024

KEN GILL: THREE OF HIS BEST POEMS (IMO)

THE DOCKYARDIE’S SONG

 

I’ll sing a song one day, my friend,

That as songs go will be the end.

A song that’s full of hammers banging,

Chain-blocks rattling, steel clanging.

A song that’ll shriek, quiver, shake

With a noise and din to make you quake.

A song of men in nightmare places, 

With filthy, oily, grease-grimed faces;

Men who struggle, sweat and swear,

Whose curses are a form of prayer.

Yes,

I’ll sing a song of “things” and men, 

Of “Daniels” in the lions’ den.

Of a diff’rent world, with “lock-up” gates,

Where the “facts of life” are “hourly rates.”

Oh,

I’ll sing a song one day, my friend,

That as songs go will have no end,

And the song I sing will be sung “off-key.”

That’s the way that song should be,

For it will have no “sweet” refrain.

Its chords will sound – ”frustration,” “pain,”

And it will last a “lifetime” long.

Yes,

I’ll sing for you - the “Dockyardie’s” Song!!

 

GOODBYE AND HELLO  

 

The Missus was going away for a spell

She asked “could I manage?” I answered “Well,

I’ll struggle on bestways I can

Tho’ I’m gonna be a real lonely man.”

But all the time me mind was teeming

I was plotting, planning, scheming

Of all the things I’d do, and try

I could hardly wait to say Goodbye.

I had visions of forbidden delights

Y’know

Loose-living ladies, abandoned nights

Buckets of beer with the boys in the bar

Oh, as a middle-aged rake I’d be a star

But

Nothing turned out as I thought

Being on me own weren’t so hot,

I don’t savvy the quirks of life

‘Cos all I did – was miss the wife!

 

Oh, I tried a night out on the town

But all it did was get me down

I winked at some ladies once or twice

But the ones I winked at weren’t nice

In fact, they scared me half to death

And all of ‘em seemed to have bad breath (Ugh).

So, 

Despite ceaseless shots of self-derision

I stayed in, watched television,

And at night in that bare bedroom

I’d be all self-pity, misery, gloom,

I knew in my heart I would crack

If she didn’t hurry and soon come back.

But then came word she was on her way

Oh, I was up at the crack o’ day

I dusted, polished with no “breaks” or “halts”

I went thro’ the house like a “dose of salts”

I shaved me chin, I combed me hair

Got to the station with an hour to spare,

Couldn’t keep still, was all aglow

Felt like shouting for the world to know

Oh, a real old stupid “so and so”

But you see,

I couldn’t wait to say – Hello!!!

 

DRINKER’S PRAYERill

 

Dear Lord, don’t let me be shifted

‘Til at least 

Six more pints I have lifted.

Let me carry on proving

That at draught beer removing,

I’m really, exceptionally gifted!

 

This imbibing, for me, is a must.

I don’t care if I swell up and bust,

And if I become alcoholic

Or develop the cholic,

Well, there’s no need to kick up a fuss.

 

For there’s one thing 

That makes it alright,

I’m alive and I’m shining - tonight.

 

(But tomorrow!! Oh God, what a sight.)

 

 Ken Gill, “Penryn’s Man Of Verse” who died in 1988, has long since passed into the realms of legend with what he insisted on calling his “scribbling.”  He published books of his poems and made many broadcasts on TV and radio.  Ken was a tank cleaner at Falmouth Docks for 22 years.    

No comments:

Post a Comment